Upper Mustang Trek,
located beyond the mountains and bordering to Tibet.Beautiful mustang offers Tibetan culture, Tibetan traditional life styles and awesome mountain Views. In a 16 days upper Mustang trek itinerary, we also offer one day UNESCO world heritage tour in Kathmandu Valley. You have tour in Kathmandu just next day of your arrival. Tour to Kathmandu in heritage sites gives you opportunity to know culture, history, Buddhism and Hinduism in Nepal. And in the same day we make special trekking permits for Upper Mustang . Then on the third day, your journey for Upper Mustang trek starts with early morning drive to Pokhara. It takes approximately 7 hours to reach beautiful lake city of Nepal. Alternatively you can also fly to Pokhara by paying extra USD 123 on top of Upper Mustang Trek cost.
One needs to buy special trekking permit at least for 10 days. Permit costs US 500.00 per person to trek to special trekking region of forbidden king dome of Upper Mustang. We at least need 2 persons in a group to issue trekking permits for upper mustang trek. If you are only one and like to do Upper Mustang trek route, then book your trip ahead so that we can try to adjust you with another group. Since this area requires special permits to trek there it will be better if you have your own group. So, trekking days are little bit longer than other trekking areas and Upper Mustang is in a quite up high land and the highest point of Upper mustang altitude is 4250 meters. The highest altitude of Upper Mustang Trek is very much similar Annapurna Base Camp Trek
Upper Mustang Trek is a very popular popular even among Nepali youngsters and Mustang trek cost for Nepalese is cheaper. It is so because it does not require special trekking permit for locals. This trek also offers special meeting with Royal family in Lo- Manthang, the capital city of forbidden King-dome. It is not only trekking as such but also a kind of Cultural Immersion Program tour in Nepal. While walking through desert like Tibet plateau known as mini Tibet, there are number of monasteries waiting for you to explore. They resemble to different Buddhist sects with wonderful old architectures.
Take a hassles free Tibet like Tour.
There are a lot of hassles to go to Tibet but people still try that a lot. For some people Tibet is very important to go. It is such a beautiful Buddhist King-dome and there they can really feel the sense of Shangri-la. Tibetan cultures, their traditional way life and ancient architectures lure people to take tour there. What if you get the similar trip in Nepal and absolutely hassle free. Mustang is a beautiful Tibetan King-dome with all similarities of real Tibet in Nepal. Tibetan cultures, festivals, folk songs, stories, histories, art and architectures all are there. So join our Upper Mustang Trek to feel the real Tibet.Join our incredible Tibetan culture, ancient monasteries, sacred and caves old villages tours in Upper mustang trek.
A crucial concern or the question about upper mustang trek is that people always ask that why upper mustang trek is expensive? Answer of this question simply is that it cost USD 500 for 10 days to trek here. But if you look at our price it is still not expensive.
Upper Mustang Fixed Departure:
A. 10th August 2020, and B. 15th September 2020
Contact us for further details. Check out our itinerary, includes and excludes tabs for cost details. Visit our recent photo gallery.
Day 1 Arrival in Kathmandu 1350m and meet our Airport representative at airport and transfer to Hotel arranged by Himalayan Adventure Sports.
- Mingle with welcome drink ,short briefing about the trip and relax in the hotel.
Day 2 Sightseeing in Kathmandu Valley for experiencing Buddhism and Hinduism.
- Visit Boudhanath Stupa considered the world’s largest Buddhist shrine, a site of pilgrimage for Buddhists from all over the world. Continue to the Hindu temple of Pashupathinath built in pagoda style with a gilded roof and site of holy Hindu cremations. Then explore the ancient Swayambhunath monkey temple, the most profound expression of Buddhist symbolism in Nepal and the central location of the valley’s creation myth. The surrounding area is home to hundreds of Tibetans in exile. Return to the hotel.
Day 3, Drive from Kathmandu to Pokhara 950m.
- 7 hours drive by special tourist bus. Renting private car and flying to Pokhara is possible.
- On a clear weather day you can be rewarded by magnificent views of different Himalayas already in the beautiful city of Pokhara.
Day 4, Fly to Jomsom 2,750m and trek to Kagbeni 2,800m
- 25 minutes early morning flight to Jomsom and 3-4 hours trek to Kagbeni.
- Trekking through Eaklibatti village before reaching Kagbeni which is located at the bank of two rivers.
- The village is beautiful with flat-roofed houses and also has ruins of an old fortress. Overnight in Kagbeni.
Day 5, Kagbeni to Chele 3,055m.
- Entering into the restricted permit required area and you trek for approximately 5-6 hours for today. You get your permit checked and walk alongside Kaligandaki River.
- You pass couple of villages before reaching Chele village. You walk through barley and buckwheat fields, and apple orchards.
- Overnight at the Lodge in Chele.
Day 06: Chele to Syanbochen 3,470m.
- Roughly 6-7 hours of trekking day and from the third trekking day it starts to be little bit harder compared to previous trekking days.
- Taklam La pass (3,620m) and Dajori La pass (3,730m) are two passes you are trekking with.
- Best views of the day that you are enjoying today are the views of Tilicho, Yakawa Kang and Damodar Danda and pass by Ramchung Cave.
Day 7, Syanbochen to Ghami 3,515m
- 5-6 hours of trekking day.
- You ascend to the Yamda La pass (at 3,840m.) On the way, you pass by a few teahouses where you can have short break with organic tea, chortens representing Himali Buddhsim and beautiful villages.
- Next you reach Nyi Pass at 4,010m. From here, we descend to Ghami which is one of the biggest villages in the Lo region. The village is beautiful with fields surrounding the entire village.
- Overnight in Ghami.
Day 8, Ghami to Tsarang 3,625m.
- 6 hours Trek Day.
- Begins with a descent through a rough and often slippery trail. Cross a suspension bridge over the Ghami Khola and begin ascending. The pathway is beautiful with mani walls along the trail. Then you cross the Tsarang La Pass at 3865m and reach Tsarang village.
- The village greets you with Charang Chu canyon with a huge fortress and a red Monastery.
- Overnight in Tsarang.
Day 9 Tsarang to Lo-Manthang 3,700m.
- 4-5 hours trekking day with Lo La pass which at 3950m.
- Trek begins by descending to a canyon and cross a river before beginning our uphill trek to Lo La pass which at 3950m and admire the beautiful Lo Manthang village from the top of the pass. From the pass we descend to Lo Manthang which is a beautiful walled village.
- Also do not miss the magnificent views of Nilgiri, Tilicho and Annapurna I, Bhrikuti Peak as well as Damodar Kunda.
- Overnight in Lo-Manthang.
Day 10, Explore Lo Manthang.
- Lo Manthang is the capital city of Hidden Kingdome of Upper Mustang and known as walled town of the remote Upper Mustang region of Nepal.
- Touring to three major gompas namely Jhampa, Thupchen and Chhoeda. All of these gompas have undergone expert restoration over the last two decades.
- We can also trek to Tingkhar which is a beautiful village located north-west of Lo-Mangthang.
- Overnight in Lo Manthang.
Day 11, Lo-Mangthang to Drakmar (3805.
- 6-7 hours trekking time to reach Drakmar.
- Trekking same way back is not a good fun, so then you trek on a different route from Lo-Manthang. You trek through Gyakar village which houses a century old Ghar Gompa with amazing rock paintings.
- Local legend says it that anyone who makes a wish at the Gompa will have it fulfilled. You can also try the same, so visit Gompa and continue our trek to Drakmar.
- Overnight in Drakmar.
Day 12, Drakmar to Ghiling 3,800m.
- 6 -7 hours of trekking day with early start to avoid strong winds and descend for the most part of the trek to Ghiling.
- Be prepared for strong winds protection.
- Ghiling, being mostly dry but it still offers you breathtaking views of Dhaulagiri and Nilgiri mountains. You are welcome for touring around the village in the evening if you feel like.
- Overnight in Ghiling.
Day 13, Ghiling to Chhuksang 3055.
- 5-6 hours trek day to arrive to Chhuksang following the same trail as you were going up to Lo Mangthan.
- While you are trekking on the way to Chhuksang you can enjoy amazing views of the mountains and different villages .
- Overnight in Chhuksang.
Day 14, Chhuksang to Jomsom 2,750m.
- 7-8 hours of trekking day and a bit long day compared to other days. On your last trekking day you are arriving to Jomsom to fly back to Pokhara tomorrow.
- your Upper Mustang Trek ends at the kagbeni where you have lunch and then you join Annapurna Circuit trekking route to arrive Jomsom where you stay your overnight.
Day 15, Fly back to Pokhara 950m.
- You have amazing short early morning flight from Jomsom to Pokhara.While flying, the airplane flies between the deepest gorge of Annapurna and Dhaulagiri mountains.
- Check in the hotel in Pokhara and be rested. Overnight in Pokhara.
Day 16, Drive from Pokhara to Kathmandu 1350m.
- 7-8 hours of driving to reach Kathmandu. Enjoy the overland views while driving.
- You have cultural show with typical Nepali dinner in the evening organized by Himalayan Adventure Sports as a farewell party.
- Overnight in Kathmandu.
Day 17 Final Departure.
- You are dropped off in International Airport in Kathmandu to fly home.
- Airport- Hotel- Airport pickups and drops with private vehicle.
- 3night’s standard hotel in Kathmandu in twin sharing basis with bed and breakfast.
- 2 night’s standard hotel in Pokhara in twin sharing basis with bed and breakfast.
- Kathmandu to Pokhara and Pokhara to Kathmandu by tourist bus. It is possible to take a both way flights instead but cost extra USD 246 for both way.
- Pokhara to Jomsom & Jomsom to Pokhara domestic Airfare and airport tax.
- Upper Mustang Trek with 3 meals a day and Lodge to Lodge accommodations. No foods will be provided other than breakfast when you are not in the mountain.
- Government licensed ,friendly and well-experienced trekking guide with fluent English proficiency with his salary, equipments and insurence.
- All the needed permits such as Upper Mustang Special Permit, TIMS & ACAP.
- 1 porter/s for each two trekkers with their salary and insurance.
- All needed transportation as necessary according to itinerary.
- Cultural show with typical Nepali dinner as a farewell party.
- Office service charge.
- Government taxes and tourism taxes.
- Lunch & Dinner in Kathmadu & Pokhara.
- International Airfare.
- Visa to Nepal.
- All the foods in Kathmandu and Pokhara other than breakfast.
- Your travel insurance.
- Personnel expenses.
- Unexpected extra prices which is beyond our control such as natural calamities, change of itinerary,
- political unrest, rescue etc.
- Tips for guide, porters and drivers.